Kevin Brosius on Wed, 19 Feb 2003 09:30:33 -0500

Re: [PLUG] Incremental Backups to CD-RW

Chris Hedemark wrote:

> On Wednesday, February 19, 2003, at 12:16 AM, Ian Reinhart Geiser wrote:
>
> > DVD is a little cheaper and arguable on speed... unless we start
> > playing with
> > SCSI3 DLTS and even then, the cost is steap there... a DVDRW is about
> > $300
> > and media as cheap as $5 a disk, for 4.5G uncompressed.  Where a DLT
> > is about
> > 40G for ~$50-$70 and the drive itself is over $1k...
>
> Don't overlook older tape technologies.
>
> DLT III has a lower capacity than DLT IV, but nobody wants them so the
> drives are cheap on eBay and the media is also cheaper.
>
> The media isn't as cheap as DVD-RW but (1)you don't need to erase DLT
> before using it and (2)the media is a lot more rugged than anything
> optical (one scratch and you're done).

(1) Hmm, I don't erase DVD+RW media before re-writing it, maybe that's a
difference with the -RW media?  I've only done direct backups so far,
without compression.  And no differentials at all (it's easy, and I can
mount them directly to pull files off of.)

I'm interested in what you find.

On the quantity of source code you seem to retrieve, do the projects use
cvsup?  Sounds like a lot more work than there ought to be. :)

--
Kevin Brosius