Adam Turoff on Thu, 20 Feb 2003 23:30:17 -0500

Re: [PLUG] OS X Question

On Thu, Feb 20, 2003 at 11:08:37PM -0500, W.Chris Shank wrote:
> Hmm... good idea. It definately doesn't use dhcpcd.

Because it doesn't need to.  One of the interesting aspects of Darwin
is the IOKit, which allows for dynamic configuration of network
interfaces.  This is one of the things that is supposed to "just work".

First, what kind of base station are you using?  It may be a conflict
between the DHCP lease and the DHCP client in OS X.

If you're using an Airport, or some other base station that works well
with Macs, then there's something funky going on.  Has it always
misbehaved like this, or is this a recent change?  If it's a recent
change, what's changed recently?

There are a few configurations that don't act normally with my iBook.
Whenever I use wireless at Starbucks, I can see the tmobile WLAN
just fine; however, the way it is configured, nothign works until I sign
on and authenticate with their web-based signon software.

Z.