gabriel rosenkoetter on Sat, 22 Feb 2003 20:50:30 -0500

Re: [PLUG] RJ45 tools

On Sat, Feb 22, 2003 at 06:41:04PM -0500, Stephen Gran wrote:
> It looks liek I might be in need of a set of RJ45 crimping and cutting
> tools, and was wondering if someone either had a set they want to get
> rid of, or knows a local place to pick them up cheap.  I imagine Radio
> Shack or something has them, but I thought I would go ahead and ask, in
> case anyone has any recommendations.

Home Despot has a couple of good (Ideal brand) models, one just like
the one I use (but am rather attached to, thanks).

On Sat, Feb 22, 2003 at 07:21:53PM -0500, Paul wrote:
> When I was searching for a coax crimper I noticed some good RJ45 deals
> on http://www.e-bay.com.  I got a crimper with a die for $20.

You do, I hope, mean ebay.com? e-bay.com isn't owned by at all the
same folks...

> I don't know about local stores, but I have some suggestions.  Get a
> ratcheting crimper.  An interchangable die system is nice to have. A
> crimper with a combination of RJ45 and phone (RJ11 or 12?) is convenient.

Nah, die systems end up being more trouble than they're worth.
You'll only ever want an RJ-45 and one of the two possible phone
RJs (two-pair is 11, I don't remember what three-pair is, four-pair
is 45). And if you've only got one slot for the die, you'll be
switching every time you use it, guaranteed. If you're only doing
home stuff (no digital phone systems), you only need an RJ-45 and an
RJ-11.

--
gabriel rosenkoetter
gr@eclipsed.net