Kyle R . Burton on Fri, 28 Feb 2003 14:10:35 -0500

Re: [PLUG] OT: MS Office compatible Java programs

> Anyone know of any Java programs (or applets even) that can read (write?)
> Doc and Xls formats? I'm googling and coming up a little shy. Any Open
> Source projects doing this?

The Apache Jakarta Project (part of which was already mentioned) has
a sub-project called POI:

  http://jakarta.apache.org/poi/index.html

That has sub-components that can read and write XLS and DOC files from
Java.  I've used the Excel writer at work so we could generate and mail
XLS spreadsheets from a web-application - running entirely under Linux.

The bulk of the software in the project is
Apache/mod_perl/Pas/Postgres.  At the time we started the project there
were no Perl modules that could read/write XLS files, so we used Java
for that one part of the application.  It started out, and remains, a
completely open-source solution.

Kyle