M.Simons on Wed, 05 Mar 2003 18:21:06 -0500

[PLUG] Free computers by the van load

              FREE VAN LOADS Of USED COMPUTERS
              ================================
                 First come, first served!
(No individual computers, and no picking what you get.)

If your organization is interested and able to accept a DELIVERY of
free, used, untested computers and accessories, read on.

Your NONPROFIT ORGANIZATION can receive a delivery of donated
computers and components. You must be a Nonprofit Organization or a
school. And, you must agree to take everything that is on the van.
You must be able to accept the donated items at a time convenient to
the van driver... You must also provide help with unloading the van.

Here are the details:

The radio station WMGK (102.9 FM) has just completed a promotion
asking people to drop off used computers at Acme Markets. Now, nearly
60 Acme Markets around the Philadelphia region are waiting for WMGK's
vans to pick up the donations. The WMGK staff can drop off a whole
van load of the resulting items at your site, if you want it.

This promotion was very successful. The station was telling people to
drop off their old computers, printers, mice, keyboards, modems,
scanners, and other computer-related items at Acme Markets. The only
thing they were asked to NOT drop off were broken monitors. The
promotion has benefited my organization, Nonprofit Technology
Resources. But we can only handle so much material. Now it's your
turn, if you'd like.

(Note: The promotion is now over and people should STOP dropping off
items at Acme Markets.)

If you choose to accept a load of used computers, here's what you might get:

Somewhere between 10 - 20 computers... old ones, newer ones, some
broken and some in perfect condition. Some may be 286, some may be
486, some may be as new as a Pentium II or III. (No one will be
tossing a Pentium IV... so they'll all be older than that.) Some of
the computers may be Apple Macintosh computers, still the best
personal computers made. Macs are great, if you know about them, but
few people give away the newer ones. Some of the computers you'll get
will be pure scrap, and may have some gold in them and therefor some
scrap value!

Also, you will get monitors, probably a few less than the number of
computers in your load... mostly in working condition. But some may
be 14" or smaller, some will be "terminals" and so out of date as to
be useless. But some may be great 17" color monitors that you'd be
proud to have on your desk. And, despite our efforts to ask people
not to send them, some may be broken and will be best disposed of by
paying to have them recycled.

Next, you'll probably get about one quarter to one half as many
printers as you get computers. These may be old dot matrix printers,
ink jet printers, or laser printers... all may be used, some may work
right off the truck, others may need ink or other supplies to make
them work. A few of the printers will have the necessary printer data
cable which connects the computer to the printer. These cables are
actually worth as much or more than the printer in some cases. Some
of the printers will be broken and totally useless except as boat
anchors.

Plus, you might see a laptop or two... and other things that people
decide are part of their computer... like software that's 3 to ten
years out of date, but may still be useful. You'll probably get
books, loose accessories like computer cards, modems, special fans,
keyboard trays, mouse hooks, mouse pads... anything that someone
thinks belongs with the computer might end up in your van load...

If you'd like to get on the "Band Wagon" for this limited time
opportunity, write back in to me, Stan Pokras <pokras
@libertynet.org> via email. Tell me who you are, what your
organization is called, where you're located and who you serve.

If you have questions, please put them in the email. I'd rather not
have phone calls about this!!!

Once I have determined that you are both interested and qualified,
I'll pass your email along to the WMGK promotions staff who will
contact you about the date and time for your delivery.

Please pass this notice along to other groups you know in the
Philadelphia area.

Happy Computing!

Stan
--
Stanley R. Pokras, Executive Director   Nonprofit Technology Resources (NTR)

                        Nonprofit Technology Resources
                            1524 Brandywine Street
                            Philadelphia PA  19130
                   215-564-6686 (day)      215-564-6642 (fax)
                            215-922-0227 (evenings)
              Find our "Home Page" at http://www.libertynet.org/ntr/