Jeff Abrahamson on Thu, 6 Mar 2003 12:42:08 -0500

Re: [PLUG] PGP keysigning aftermath

On Thu, Mar 06, 2003 at 11:54:57AM -0500, gabriel rosenkoetter wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 06, 2003 at 10:23:56AM -0500, Michael Leone wrote:
> > Oh? I had received 2 new keys, which I put into the keyring. I got another
> > one at like 6PM last night. (as a side note, sending me a key less than an
> > hour before a meeting you want to be keysigned at ... is not enough
> > notice. :-) I will add you in, tho, and you can get signed at the next
> > keysigning.
>
> Sure, but doing keysigning the way we've been doing it is getting to
> be pretty unmanageable.
>
> Jeff would like to just have everyone's keys in a file, run SHA1 on
> that, compare the checksum you see at the meeting with one you
> compute yourself on the same file, and know that everyone's
> signature matches up. I think there are some serious failings with
> that plan:

I have a couple knits:

> - Everyone involved had really better understand how it works, or
>   they're liable to do it wrong.

This is true for all the schemes.

> - Latecomers are completely screwed.

This is semi-true for all schemes, although it's true that it's easier
to run gpg-key2ps before leaving home/office than it is to remember to
mail a key in advance.

> - The uniqueness of SHA1 is still open to comment. We're already
>   trusting it once for the fingerprints; maybe we'd rather not trust
>   it again for this.

Uniqueness is not open to comment: it is not unique. (The range is
larger than the domain.) The assurance is that different things you
happen to have are highly unlikely to hash to the same value, and
given a hash value, it is hard to find a pattern that hashes to it.

I'm knit picking, as I said.

> - An error in ANY key aborts the whole keysigning for everyone.

No, just that one key would be unuseful, the rest of the sheet is
fine. We would all have computed the hash based on the same file.

One's not even required to prepare in advance, in the sense that you
could compute the hash when you go home that night.

That said, I'm not averse to the decentralized approach of everyone
bringing key strips with them. I would just like to see us get away
from the current approach, which is too time consuming *and* requires
centralized planning.

-Jeff

--
 Jeff