Martin DiViaio on Tue, 11 Mar 2003 16:50:07 -0500

Re: [PLUG] "services" under Linux

On the 11th day of March in the year 2003 you wrote:

> Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2003 13:48:54 -0500 (EST)
> From: epike@isinet.com
> To: plug@lists.phillylinux.org
> Subject: Re: [PLUG] "services" under Linux
>
> > This will disable the services, however, it's not the best way to do it.
> > As other suggested, use chkconfig. Otherwise, you are in for a lot of work
> > locating all the rc dirs, among other problems, typos, etc.
>
> never had a problem with typing mv, though admittedly i should
> be using chkconfig.  I suspect chkconfig just moves the S to K
> though.  Dont have a problem with locating the runlevel either.

At the begining of every script in the init.d directory is a comment that
looks something like:

# chkconfig 20 30

These numbers (sort of) determine the order the scripts are run at
startup/shutdown. The first number follows the S when the script is set
to run at boot and the second number follows the K when the script is not
set to run at boot.