William H. Magill on Tue, 18 Mar 2003 20:40:38 -0500

Re: [PLUG] SNMP

On Tuesday, March 18, 2003, at 10:21  AM, Paul wrote:
Does anyone know how to talk to a wireless router using SNMP?
I've found the snmpwalk and snmpget utilities. The problem is that the utilities time out or report that the router didn't respond. I've confirmed that SNMP is enabled on the router and I'm using the default names of public and private. (I know, I will change them later.)
. . .
What did you do to get RedHat to respond to SNMP commands? How is the wireless router different?

Do you know for a fact that the Router will respond to SNMP... ie is it REALLY configured to respond to an SNMP request.

SNMP is considered to be a potential security problem (it gives out WAY too much information, and has nothing even vaguely resembling security), consequently it is often not enabled by default these days.

T.T.F.N.
William H. Magill
# Beige G3 - Rev A motherboard - 768 Meg
# Flat-panel iMac (2.1) 800MHz - Super Drive - 768 Meg
# PWS433a [Alpha 21164 Rev 7.2 (EV56)- 64 Meg]- Tru64 5.1a
magill@mcgillsociety.org
magill@acm.org
magill@mac.com