Adam Lazur on Thu, 20 Mar 2003 11:15:15 -0500

[PLUG] Re: /etc on a separate partition

Wayne Dawson (jongalt@pinn.net) said:
> Since /etc has so much related to the config of the computer, I'd like to
> put it on a separate raid partition too.  Of course, the problem is that
> fstab resides in /etc.
>
> Is there a way to put /etc on a separate partition?

Sure, you could use an initrd that initializes your raid array, mounts
/etc, and then pivot_root's to your real root. After you go the initrd
route, it would just make sense to go back to having / on raid as well,
b/c all the raid setup heavy lifting is done by your initrd.

I believe that RedHat does this kind of thing with their initrds,
possibly not with raid, but definitely with scsi modules and the like.

--
Adam Lazur, Cluster Monkey