W. Chris Shank on Fri, 4 Apr 2003 09:49:14 -0500

[PLUG] What causes this networking weirdness?

I have a PPC with YDL 2.3 (RH 7.3 PPC) setup as a server. It is physically
on my local LAN (internal IP), behind the firewall. I have my router setup
to port forward SSH and port 80 requests to this machine - external IP. I
have added this external IP as a subdomain at my internet DNS provider. I
generally can SSH into the machine ok using the external IP and can see
the web server. However, a few minutes after I login vai SSH - the system
is unresponsive for several minutes. If I'm connected outside the LAN - I
lose the connection. If I'm connected to the internal IP from the LAN - it
will generally bring my session back, with all the keyboard commands
buffered.

I figure this must be a DNS or reverse-IP lookup issue that is causing the
networking to be unresponsive (until it times out?). I didn't notice this
behavior until I setup the DNS and port forwarding - but then again - I
didn't really use the machine until then - I was still burning it in.

The weird thing is that I had been port forwarding to a different machine
(x86) for SSH just fine (not port 80 though). It never timed out or
anything.

Is there something obvious that I've overlooked? Do I need my own DNS
internally? Any assistance is, as always, appreciated.

Thanks