W.Chris Shank on Fri, 4 Apr 2003 18:58:09 -0500

Re: [PLUG] What causes this networking weirdness?

you may be on to something here. i wasn't able to checkout the messages cause everytime i got into the machine - it would soon hang. I did just change the hosts file so that the internal IP was set to localhost and the public IP that is portforwarded was set to the machine name.

I seem to be able to login without getting kicksed out now (fingers are crossed). This is what was waiting for me in the dmesg:

eth0: MII PHY ID: 406210 BCM 5201
eth0: Link is up at 100 Mbps, full-duplex.
eth0: Pause is disabled
portmap: server localhost not responding, timed out
portmap: server localhost not responding, timed out
portmap: server localhost not responding, timed out
eth0: Link down