Mental Patient on Wed, 16 Apr 2003 18:11:05 -0400

Re: [PLUG] security updates with apt?

On Wed, 2003-04-16 at 17:44, Gregson Helledy wrote:
> I've been R'ing TFM but can't seem to find the answer:
>
> Is there a way to do "apt-get upgrade" but only upgrade packages for which
> there have been security-related updates?
>
> The hack I can think of is commenting-out the non-security lines in the
> sources file, but shouldn't there be something like "apt-get
> upgrade --security-only"?

If you're running stable, thats the only upgrades you should be seeing.
If you're running testing or sid, you dont get official security
updates, only package updates.

Since sid/sarge dont differentiate between security and normal package
updates, --security-only wouldn't help you. Run stable, I only get the
occaisional package installed due to security updates. (I'm speaking of
my stable server, not my workstation running unstable)