Tom Diehl on Mon, 21 Apr 2003 14:55:30 -0400

[PLUG] Re: automount question

On Mon, 21 Apr 2003, Eric Lucas wrote:

> It's Linux on both ends... server is e-smith 5.6 - client is RH 8
> If I have to specify gid=xxx then I lose the benefit of having
> whoever logs into the workstation be able to use the share as
> "theirs" unless I have a separate auto.master entry for each
> user (painful).  I'll try that though to see if it works :-)
> The /etc/exports file is empty on the server.

If it is linux on both ends then you do NOT need to specify uid and
gid. I would suggest to try putting something like the following
in /etc/exports on the server:
/share/misc               192.168.0.0/255.255.255.0(ro,async)

I actually put an entry for each file system and of course you need to season
it to taste. This works for me and gives the desired behaviour of seeing who
owns the files.

My auto.master entries look something like:
/tigger /etc/auto.tigger        --timeout=60

and the auto.tigger entry looks like:
src             -rw,soft,intr           tigger:/usr/src
local           -rw,soft,intr           tigger:/usr/local

# This is the catch all rule.
*               -ro,soft,intr           tigger:/&

the above allows me to do things like cd /tigger/home/tdiehl and access my
home directory on tigger from another machine. this sounds a littlt different
from what you are doing but I think you can get the general idea.

I have never used esmith but I cannot imagine things being
all that different. It is after all just nfs.

HTH,

--
.............Tom	"Nothing would please me more than being able to
tdiehl@rogueind.com	hire ten programmers and deluge the hobby market

   			We are still waiting ....