Chris Hedemark on Tue, 22 Apr 2003 17:45:22 -0400

Re: [PLUG] firewall

On Tuesday, April 22, 2003, at 02:03 PM, Michael Lazin wrote:

I need to set up a firewall for a small office with 10 computers. I was thinking about using a Cisco firewall appliance but the office does not want to spend that kind of money. I think that a linux firewall would be an ideal solution. I would like to use an inexpensive old machine for that purpose. What would the minimum requirements be for a linux firewall for this size network? What type of firewall software is out there for linux?

Having dealt with both Linux and OpenBSD, I would go with OpenBSD for firewalls every time. I've built a number of them out of old first gen Pentium machines. Certainly it would be good enough for a network that small. Make sure you have 32MB of RAM or more and ~1GB HDD or more (though honestly you can get away with a lot less drive space).

--
War is Terrorism with a Bigger Budget