W. Chris Shank on Thu, 1 May 2003 10:11:04 -0400

Re: [PLUG] Help with Lawsuit

I think that perhaps your idea of disk and the lawyer's idea of disk are
not the same (perhaps she thinks you mean floppy disk?). It is plainly
obvious that the information resides in electronic form somewhere (from
the statement that it resides on the mainframe) - whether on harddisk or
tape (as older machines used to store their information) is unclear. I
think lawyers are sticklers for language clarity - so saying "it's on
disk" probably leave too much wiggle room.

I would revise the request to state that the information must be stored
somewhere in an electronic (computer readable) form, if it wasn't then it
would not be available on the website or in the mainframe.

this is my favorite quote:
> "The GMA and EQID files are not 'maintained on disk somewhere' as
> Appellant asserts.  The most up-to-date GMA and EQID figures are on the
> BRT's network servers."  p. 3 of City's legal brief.

That's like saying: This car doesn't use internal combustion, it uses
gasoline.

Good luck.