gabriel rosenkoetter on Thu, 1 May 2003 10:15:23 -0400

Re: [PLUG] Help with Lawsuit

On Thu, May 01, 2003 at 09:23:41AM -0400, Edmund Goppelt wrote:
> To me it seems obvious that the data from the City's web site must
> reside on a hard disk somewhere,

Really? Must it? It's not on a tape somewhere in the datastore for a
DB2 (or similar) database on a mainframe?

> "There is a file that is known EQID that rests on the mainframe and
> contains only the BRT account number and the EQID number for
> residential properties.  This data file does not exist on a disk."

'cause that's sure what it sounds like to me...

So the only practical way to get those fields, without knowing the
DBMS's on-media format (which is propietary and not something they
divulge) is to run a query. They've got a website set up to run
queries, and it provides the information you're asking for. They're
not prepared to let you run your own queries (for security reasons
probably), nor should they have to foot the bill for the developer
time to set up the query that you want and a web interface on top of
it.

Seems reasonable to me...

--
gabriel rosenkoetter