Eugene Smiley on Sun, 4 May 2003 16:36:04 -0400

RE: [PLUG] RIAA Begs For War.

William wrote:
> Being a long time "Taper" at Dead shows, I applaud Jobs' efforts
> at Apple. 99 cents a track is a damm good price. ... Funny, but
> 16 tracks on a CD equals $16.00. Except that the 16 tacks are
> "good tracks," that is, the ones I want!

I would have to disagree with the math here, as even 16 good CD tracks and 16 good downloaded tracks aren't equivalent. I wouldn't pay more than 1/5 of this for a product with so little overhead as downloaded tracks.

Buy a CD and you are paying for the media, the printed material/lyrics, the store, the distributor, yada yada.

If you buy a CD through BMG or Columbia and wait for the 1.99 special each year, you end up paying $4.48 per CD with shipping ($2.49 per CD). So for the same 16 songs, you pay 28 cents per song. Hmmmm... Pay 99 cents and I don't get a backup of the media to replace a lost track, or pay 28 cents and get media. Apple's distribution channel shouldn't cost them 70+ cents more than BMG/Columbia.

Of course this is based on the assumption that the 16 tracks are good tracks. If we take that out of the picture the price per good track is anywhere between $4.48 per good track (for 1 good track of 16) to 28 cents per good track (where all 16 tracks are good).

This is where is starts to get subjective. What is a good track?