Kevin Brosius on Tue, 6 May 2003 11:23:14 -0400

Re: [PLUG] subversion vs opencm?

Jeff Abrahamson said:
>      On Mon, May 05, 2003 at 09:57:54AM -0400, gabriel rosenkoetter wrote:
>      > [32 lines, 185 words, 1089 characters] Top characters: etoasnri
>      >
>      > On Thu, May 01, 2003 at 10:04:36PM -0400, Jeff Abrahamson wrote:
>      > > Subversion has been getting a lot of press recently in the debian
>      > > world as a CVS replacement
>      >
>      > But be wary of getting yelled at that BitKeeper is clearly superior
>      > if you frequent lkm. ;^>
>
>      But it's not free.

Well, depends on usage, at least that seems to be one of the main kernel
developer complaints.  It's certainly free when I use it at home to pull
the bitkeeper tree, or generate patches against a local repository.

Personally, it seems that cvs and bitkeeper have their own advantages
and disadvantages.

I find the 'bk revtool' and 'bk citool' to be handy views into the code
repositories.  However, I find that bk forces merging changes you make
locally into the history much earlier than you would have to with cvs.
I find that a negative.

They now have a cvs mirror of the bk repository, so a bunch of the
flamewars ought to be moot today.

--
Kevin Brosius