Kyle R . Burton on Tue, 6 May 2003 17:38:05 -0400

Re: [PLUG] Gimp Users?

> Why not just used import and drag/select the html content you want to
> capture? You dont need to dump the whole window. You can drag the cursor
> to create a box selection of partial window content.

That would work instead of doing the cropping in Gimp, but that's not the
bulk of what I was attempting to automate.  When doing the screenshots, I
keep Mozilla exactly the same size for each and every screenshot.  I'm
using guides in Gimp to do the cropping, so all the screen shots are
precise and, more importantly, consistient.  Most of the screenshots in
the documentation are used to point out navigation elements, and/or show
users what they should be seeing once they reach a given page, so including
the entire rendered content is appropriate for our purposes.

I don't trust myself to drag a rectangle that's exactly the right size
the first time.  Using the guides in Gimp allows me to adjust them if
necessary, and then crop accurately based on their positions.

Regardless, the issue I was having was with calling the function that
saves the image as a jpeg file.  If I can get the post-crop tasks
scripted, I can quickly take the screen-shots, crop them appropriately
and then batch convert the images and they'll all be consistient (and
I'll end up with a print resolution and an HTML resolution, which
will make the documentation better).

I wasn't aware of import's rectangle/select/drag feature.

Thanks,

Kyle