Fred K Ollinger on Sat, 17 May 2003 08:51:03 -0400

Re: [PLUG] Question about dual booting install.

> Daniel G Roberts said:
> > one problem that I have run into is that my redhat refuses to mount my
> > win2k/ntfs partition as read/write..even by hand I can only mount it
> > read/only eventhough I specified at the cmd line  I wanted the partition
> > mounted as  rw. have any clues?
>
> 1. Mounting NTFS as R/W in Linux is dangerous; the recommendation is R/O
> 2. I think you need to compile the kernel with NTFS R/W support, not just
> NTFS R/O support.

>From the latest I read, Mike is right. I would go a step further and
suggest not to do the kernel compile at all. You need to use a fat32
partition for data that you want linux and win2k to have rw access unless
you want to be an alpha tester and play russian roulette with your data.

Fred