gabriel rosenkoetter on Sun, 18 May 2003 09:36:10 -0400

Re: [PLUG] application/ogg approved by ietf

On Sat, May 17, 2003 at 12:22:20PM -0400, Jeff Abrahamson wrote:
> In case you hadn't heard, a part of Ogg Vorbis is now designated a
> MIME type. This snippet is from a recent post to
> debian-devel-announce:
>
>   Recently the Ogg bitstream format (the container format employed for
>   the well-known Ogg Vorbis audio code) has been designated an official
>   MIME type: "application/ogg"; for details see
>   http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc3534.txt .

Uh...

RFC means "Request for Comments". That means, "We'd like to do it
this way; please consider it."

Doesn't mean official anything. Though it seems pretty likely that
software designers who pay attention to RFCs will probably implement
support, as long as the RFC isn't internally broken by design.

--
gabriel rosenkoetter
gr@eclipsed.net