Chris Hedemark on Wed, 28 May 2003 15:27:05 -0400

[PLUG] Fwd: [TriLUG] Installing Knoppix on hard drive revisited!!

Very cool.  Didn't know you could do this.  Had to share. :-)

Begin forwarded message:

From: al johnson <alfjon@mindspring.com>
Date: Wed May 28, 2003  3:13:05 PM America/New_York
To: trilug@trilug.org
Subject: [TriLUG] Installing Knoppix on hard drive revisited!!

Today, I got curious and after visiting several websites about Libranet and
Knoppix, I learned a lot of new stuff. the following item from the main
Knoppix site purports to give simple instructions for installing Knoppix on
your hard drive!! I've copied the entire set of instructions for those who
also might be interested in this process:

Installation Procedure
To get Knoppix installed onto your hard drive:

   1. Boot the Knoppix CD.

2. When the boot prompt comes up, choose your language.
Most of us speak English, so we'll type:
boot: knoppix lang=en then press ENTER (you don't type the 'boot:'
part, of course)

   3. Wait till the system is fully launched, including the KDE desktop

4. Press CTRL-ALT-F1, to get a root console. You should see a shell prompt

   5. Type: knx-hdinstall

   6. Follow the guided installation menus. This will include:

* Creating a Linux partition (at least 2.5GB
* Creating a Linux Swap partition (at least 256MB)
* 'Mounting' the Linux partition as root
* Initialising the swap partition
* Copying all the required files (automatically)
* Setting up networking
* Setting passwords
* Setting up the bootloader (Note: take care with this stage - it
could render your system incapable of booting into Windows. If you really
need Windows, then it might be a good idea to set up GRUB Bootloader with a
'chainloader' entry, so that you can dual boot. Working this out is an
exercise left to the reader - there are too many possible scenarios for me to
cover in this short guide. Also see man grub and the files in
/usr/share/doc/grub)
* Rebooting (without the CD)

7. When you've rebooted Knoppix from your hard disk, click on the KDE
Control Centre icon in the launcher at the bottom of the screen (icon of a
colour monitor with a card in front of it)

   8. Within the Control Center, click on Personliche Einstellungen

   9. Click on Land und Sprache

  10. Choose the locale and language of your choice

  11. Click on Andwenden at bottom of that window

  12. Close and restart the Control Center

13. Click on Peripherals, then Keyboard, and choose your preferred keyboard
layout (which will probably be US.English. Click OK and close the window

14. Press CTRL-ALT-F2 to get to the root console, and log in as root (using
the password you chose when you ran the installer)

15. (Optional) - type apt-get update (followed by ENTER). This will update
your list of available packages, and takes about 5-10 minutes.

  16. Hey, presto, you've got a fully installed GNU/Linux desktop

TriLUG Organizational FAQ:
    http://www.trilug.org/faq/TriLUG-faq.html

--

Chris Hedemark
UNIX / Linux / BSD / Mac OS X / Windows consulting available. No job too small!