Michael C. Toren on Mon, 2 Jun 2003 13:37:04 -0400

Re: [PLUG] Bridging two networks using linux

> > DSL - Netgear Router - RG-1000 - Laptop A [the 233] - My Desktop
> >           |                  |
> >     Family Computer      Other Wireless Laptops
>
> Is the Netgear device a wireless router?
> Why is the RG-1000 thing there?

My guess is that the Netgear router is not a wireless device, just a
"broadband router", and that the RG-1000 is acting as a bridge between
the wireless network and the wired network.

> Why not just add your computer to the existing wireless net?  Maybe I'm
> totally off, but the setup seems overly complicated and unnecessary.

Brad's message indicated that Laptop-A has both a wireless and wired
connection, and I'm assuming that the desktop only has a wired connection
which is directly linked to the laptop.  Yes, probably one valid solution
to the problem would be to give the desktop access to the wireless network
by purchasing a PCI wireless card for it.  Sometimes a less ideal solution
is required to avoid capital expenditure.  :-)

-mct (who plans on responding to the parent message later this evening when
      he has more time, if someone else hasn't addressed the issue by then)