Jeyes, David (371) on Mon, 2 Jun 2003 14:31:14 -0400

RE: [PLUG] Bridging two networks using linux

Title: RE: [PLUG] Bridging two networks using linux

> Brad wrote:
>
> thanks, i'll try this in an hour or so.
>

> An unfortunate side effect of living in a pre-depression era
> house (other
> than lead pipes) is that the various wall materials do not
> allow for the
> wireless signals to pass properly.  There is something in my
> room that only
> allows the one half of the room access to the wireless
> connection (it comes
> from the floor below), and this does not include the half
> where the desk
> (and the computer) are.
>
> Yes I know, completly messed up.

definitely makes sense- I have the same problem where 20 ft= poor signal.

a possible solution is to get one of the desktop wireless receivers that connects to your computer via usb, that way you could put it wherever you need to in the room.

> Just so I know (if I don't figure it out on my own) would I
> have to make my
> desktop a different ip address range, or will the dhcp pass properly
> through?  And if so, would 'Laptop A' be the router?

The laptop should still receive a dhcp address on it's wireless interface. As a matter of fact the best way to approach this problem is one interface at a time. First the wireless interface on the laptop. . .

Then configure the secondary (wired) ip address on the laptop. This should probably be static and should be on another subnet.

Then configure your desktop's ip address as a static ip on the same subnet as the wired interface on your laptop.

At this point you should be able to access the internet on your laptop. You should also be able to ping the wired interface of your laptop from your desktop. Once you enable ip forwarding you will then be able to ping both of your laptop's interfaces from your desktop. Then configure DNS on your desktop and one more step and you're good to go.

Here comes a point that I'm not 100% sure of- whether to tell your desktop that the netgear is the gateway or the RG-1000. Maybe someone else could comment, but a little trial and error would likely resolve the question in short order.

good luck,
dj