Art Clemons on Mon, 2 Jun 2003 14:46:06 -0400

Re: [PLUG] Bridging two networks using linux

Molnar, Bradley:
An unfortunate side effect of living in a pre-depression era house (other
than lead pipes) is that the various wall materials do not allow for the
wireless signals to pass properly.  There is something in my room that only
allows the one half of the room access to the wireless connection (it comes
from the floor below), and this does not include the half where the desk
(and the computer) are.

It's usually possible to put a directional antenna on the wireless router and if you're lucky also on the wireless card you're using. The directivity can allow connections where none were possible before. It can also slightly increase the security of your wireless setup because if someone can't hear it, someone can't access it as you've discovered. Also, your wireless router doesn't have to be next to your dsl connection if you've got enough CAT5/CAT6 cable with connectors to experiment. Sometimes there are hotspots for different areas of the house. I'm presently too paranoid to run a wireless board after a friend found someone downloading child porn thru his unsecured setup. Sadly some people will abuse even free access.