Paul on Tue, 3 Jun 2003 00:35:32 -0400

Re: [PLUG] Bridging two networks using linux

There is an external wireless device which connects to the an existing Ethernet card and translates the signals to the wireless protocol. Sounds to me like a self-contained bridging device. Advantages: assured Linux compatibility, the antenna does not need to be on or close to the computer, and it would allow you to simply join the wireles network without fancy configs.

I think the one that was mentioned is made by SMC. This might be it: http://www.smc.com/index.cfm?sec=Products&pg=Product-Details&prod=272&site=c

Molnar, Bradley wrote:

thanks, i'll try this in an hour or so.

One of the problems with giving the desktop a wireless card (totally aside
from the cost b/c I think there might be an extra one if I pull it from
somewhere else and replace it with an ISA version).  However, this wouldn't
fully solve the problem.

An unfortunate side effect of living in a pre-depression era house (other
than lead pipes) is that the various wall materials do not allow for the
wireless signals to pass properly.  There is something in my room that only
allows the one half of the room access to the wireless connection (it comes
from the floor below), and this does not include the half where the desk
(and the computer) are.

Yes I know, completly messed up.

Just so I know (if I don't figure it out on my own) would I have to make my
desktop a different ip address range, or will the dhcp pass properly
through? And if so, would 'Laptop A' be the router?