gabriel rosenkoetter on Mon, 9 Jun 2003 14:00:28 -0400

Re: [PLUG] Vaguely from /.: Dell access point runs Linux

On Mon, Jun 09, 2003 at 01:44:26PM -0400, Chris Magnus Hedemark wrote:
> I'll have to disagree about the hope for an outcome on the GPL issue (I
> think Linksys is obligated to live up to the terms of the GPL, and hope
> that those who have bought this hardware are relentless in pursuing it).

Well, my (lack of) hope for those wanking about GPL issues has more
to do with their (lack of) social skills than the plausible results
of this particular case. But whatever.

> But I do hope that the Dell antenna is easily replaceable.  If
> everything fits with this unit, this could be the holy grail I've been
> after.

I thought it might interest you. :^>

I think that you may want to hold off and see how the Linksys thing
rides out, though. If memory serves, the Linksys routers are vaguely
the same thing as the correlative Belkin router, only but the
Linksys ones are a bit more techie-friendly (with an eye towards
adding antennae and such).

Of course, you and I would both much prefer that it turn out that
D-Link was using this same vLinux installation in their 900AP[+]
line, but I don't think that's going to happen.

Another place to look for your holy grail may be Cisco. But you'll
pay for the privilege, obviously.

--
gabriel rosenkoetter
gr@eclipsed.net