Jeff 'Jephree' Mealo on Mon, 9 Jun 2003 15:53:18 -0400

[PLUG] Free Wireless Access

Is this a possibility anytime in the near future? if those with broadband
connections were willing to share a reasonable amount of bandwidth (let's say
25%) to free access?  I'm a bit confused as to how this would work.  This is
probably next to impossible, I know nothing about transmission distances, so
take it as an example: 5 mile radius, 50 homes share 25% of a cable
connection.  All 50 homes communicate to each other (one acts as a... relay
almost, keeping everyone up to date on the status of other machines, and only
alerting those who would find the information relevant).  How is it possible
to maintan a connection to let's say... IRC, or AIM w/o disconnects when the
requests would immediately be broken and IPs would be constantly switching?
Am I confused?  The only thing that makes sense to me is for everyone in the
neighborhood to pay a Linux junkie and split the cost of a T1 line (or
similar solution) and use wireless as a solution for home and roaming access.
This would boost the overall signal and encourage non-technical people to
pitch in for the cause because most people are oblivious to the many
disadvantages to wireless networking. As far as security goes you could make
it so only those who have arrangements with the administrator have net
access, or who have the means to circumvent these measures.

Oh well, it's just a dream... One we've all had, but... I just don't
understand "why not" it's within our reach.. not to mention as long as the
connections are from the same ISP correct me if I'm wrong they are routed
through gateways and will appear to be from the same IP to the outside? so
Client A and B on Verizon can send the same message to the same server with
the same results? I am confused... as you can tell... Criticize, Improve or
shed light on how ludacris this is, I'm anxious to hear your opinions.

Keep in mind I'm thinking outside of the cities... Also, what speed
connections are possible over HAM radio? What are viable solutions as far as
range and cost efficiency go?

I lack common understanding on the networking concepts discussed in general so
please excuse the sloppiness of my message, and if possible try to grasp the
point if their is a consensus the existence of one ;-).

Thanks,
Jeff