Kevin Brosius on Mon, 9 Jun 2003 22:58:07 -0400

Re: [PLUG] DelCo Wireless (and maybe Philly Wireless too)

Chris "Magnus" Hedemark wrote:

> The primary lure of this is not free internet. The lure of this is
> having high speed network coverage blanketing parts of Philadelphia,
> Delaware County, and other local counties. Node operators may,
> however, choose to give or sell Internet access from their nodes (node
> operators should not, however, charge for access to the mesh itself).
> This can be a real boon for file sharing, gaming, and other high
> bandwidth applications. Initially we would be on 802.11b on the omnis
> (because of the availability of drivers for all OS's on that standard)
> but backbone links may use 802.11a (or g) for now with an eye on
> emerging technologies like 802.16 in the future.

What kind of coverage do you expect from the omni-nodes?  Would you
consider this a one building kind of option?  My initial investigations
out here in the northern suburbs (Lansdale, Mont Co) lead me to think
that special antennas won't get you good high speed coverage over a
reasonable distance (say more than a square acre or two) with 802.11b
and standard hardware.

For a expensive twist, check out the /. article about using Airport
stations to cover a house.  The author is proposing $150-$250/node and
suggests adding nodes until you get your entire house covered.  Seems
kind of pricey to me.

On a side note, do you have an archive for the DelCo list?  I'd like to
review it once in a while.  If you need something, I can throw it up on
http://kevb.net:3000/lurker/splash/index.html .

--
Kevin