Jeffrey Mealo on Mon, 9 Jun 2003 23:12:04 -0400

[PLUG] Antenna/Free Net Access/Monitor Tricks

I'm aware we *shouldn't* have to pay for it, that's why I was asking.
Did you see where I said radio towers? I meant to use that to send a
signal over more topography, as I stated before I'm oblivious to how
this works.  I just can't see how much using one of these would cost,
and if a real antenna (or space on one) costs so damn much I'm sure we
could use something big, metal and not originally made to be an antenna
;).  (I've found metal windmills interesting to experiment with in the
past) Oh well, while any of you dream of wireless net access (free, and
or affordable w/o crummy bandwidth limitations) check this out for a
cool experiment using your monitor and a short wave radio (or a regular
one should work fine as long as it receives the AM band...):

http://freshmeat.net/projects/tempestforeliza/?topic_id=71%2C43

You'll need AMP and sox installed... Since we're all in the Delaware
county area my tip is 640-690 AM (but it will differ majorly I'd imagine
for those in close range of stations who may experience bleeding)...

"Tempest for Eliza is a program that uses your computer monitor to send
out AM short wave radio signals. You can then hear computer generated
music in your radio. it teaches you that your computer can be observed.
Tempest for Eliza works with every monitor, every resolution. you don't
have to be root."

I know it's alot, and not closely related but I'm sure you can see how
one lead to the other.

Thanks,
Jeff

P.S. I remembered the Subject :)