Jeffrey Mealo on Tue, 10 Jun 2003 15:10:38 -0400

[PLUG] Wireless LAN Coverage in The Suburbs

I feel left out because I am not in the city, Linux users (or power
users in general) are hard to find.  I live in Glen Mills/Chester
Heights/Concordville if anyone is familiar with that area (Zipcode:
19342).  Would there be any possibility of extending the lan outside of
Phillidelphia and if so how.  What would our goals be?  We'd need to
have a  very good plan that's expandable and practical with potential
mount points and assign people to try to get them established.  The
mount points would a) need to meet our needs b) be willing to.  I figure
if you were to map it out on freely available topography data with the
aid of a GPS we could do a pretty precise job of placing repeaters in
locations.  I live rather close to a radio tower (okay, maybe not, I
never go down that road, it could *look* deceivingly close).  What kind
of range would we be roughly looking at per repeater and how heavily
does the mount point affect this.  Also, I am extremely confident if we
were to write to let's say Net Gear and or Linksys we could receive
discounted rates and or full/parital sponsorship.

... This is the topic that's too good to let die ;), it just keeps going
and going.

P.S. Sorry for "tower" and "antenna" my mind was in the dumps from
cramming for a math final.  Remembered the subject twice in a row, heh.