Tom Diehl on Mon, 16 Jun 2003 16:35:16 -0400

[PLUG] Re: MCom service?

On Mon, 16 Jun 2003, Mattison, Jacob wrote:

> I'm troubleshooting a problem with Apache and mod_ssl.  I can connect via
> ssl on port 443 from a browser on the local machine, but not from other
> machines.
>
> nmap shows port 443 to be closed
>
> /etc/services shows port 443 to be assigned to a service called "MCom"
>
> Anybody know what this is, what it's doing on port 443, and how I can stop
> it?  Thanks!

Look again, My /etc/services says:
(tigger pts2) $ cat /etc/services | grep 443
https           443/tcp                         # MCom
https           443/udp                         # MCom
(tigger pts2) $

It is https. The MCom entry is an alias. It is commented out. See the https
on the far left that is the service that is supposed to be listening there.
Since you can connect from localhost to ssl on 443 I would suggest checking
to see if you have any iptables or other firewall rules that prevent connections
from the outside to port 443.

--
......Tom		Registered Linux User #14522	http://counter.li.org
tdiehl@rogueind.com	My current SpamTrap		mtd123@rogueind.com