mike.h on Tue, 17 Jun 2003 11:10:18 -0400

RE: [PLUG] Web developer job opening

I condemn no one, but applaud anyone who learns something new. The "huge
variation" you mentioned probably underlies the wage differential. According
to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the job title is reported by the hiring
company. The statistics do not include the self-employed. So from their
standpoint, you're a Software engineer if your boss says you are, but not if
you're your own boss.

For more detailed job descriptions see
http://www.acinet.org/acinet/

-----Original Message-----
From: plug-admin@lists.phillylinux.org
[mailto:plug-admin@lists.phillylinux.org]On Behalf Of Mattison, Jacob
Sent: Tuesday, June 17, 2003 10:16 AM
To: 'plug@lists.phillylinux.org'
Subject: RE: [PLUG] Web developer job opening

>From: Kyle R. Burton [mailto:mortis@voicenet.com]
>
>I've seen an amazing amount of variation in skill/knowledge level and
>motivation in 'web developers'.  The dot-com boom lead many to beleive
>they could when they could not...of course I can't be too critical, I
>didn't know what I was doing when I started in this career (it's debatable
>whether I do at this point as well :).

There's also a huge variation in job description of people with the title
"Web Developer".  That's been my title in several jobs, ranging from HTML
design to low-level ASP scripting to full-scale software development with
Java servlets.  (And with a salary variation of 100%.)

I was also one of those who knew some HTML and figured I could be a web
developer too.  I hate to see folks condemn people like me as a class --
when I got interested in doing more complicated stuff, I realized I needed
better skills, and I dug in and learned Java, C++, SQL, object-oriented
design, and so forth.  It's only bad to start off with an inflated idea of
your ability if you won't let go of that idea.

Jacob