Mental Patient on Tue, 17 Jun 2003 13:17:05 -0400

Re: [PLUG] Cross-platform hardware problem

On Mon, 2003-06-16 at 19:00, Jeffrey J. Nonken wrote:
> If you have an old copy of Windows, if you ever had an old copy of
> Windows (God help you if you run fdisk to remove a partition,
> figuring to force Windows to create a new one and format it clean --
> nope, it'll detect the old one!), if you ever had a hard drive that
> USED to have Windows on it, if your mother's foreign cousin's gay
> boyfriend's roommate's CAT ever THOUGHT about buying a computer with
> Windows on it, it will somehow track it down and use the settings
> that cat would have used.
>
> OK, I won't swear to that one.

I find that a low level format fixes that. But I know what you're
describing, DOS fdisk and format seem to somehow preserve the (broken)
registry settings.

--
Mental (Mental@NeverLight.com)

Express yourself, just say yes