Magnus on Wed, 25 Jun 2003 16:12:05 -0400

Re: [PLUG] Linux for SPARC?

On Wednesday, June 25, 2003, at 03:32 PM, Bob Schwier wrote:

agreed.
I have been wasting time getting the first machine I actually purchased to
work on the web lately. An Acer 915 - 80286. I admit it was just for s
and g. It is doable.

IMHO the 386DX was the first useful Intel processor. That's where they had all the multitasking bits enabled (it was supposed to be there in the 286 but they hadn't quite worked it out in time) and the MMU. I wasn't able to effectively run multiline on my BBS until the 386 came out (and networking hardware wasn't within a mortal's reach so dedicating 1:1 node/line ratio was not doable).

But for the record, I turn away anything older than a Pentium ~100MHz (my yardstick being as arbitrary as what is the slowest thing I can play MP3's on usefully).

It's not that older machines are useless, but if you don't have a yardstick you will be literally swimming in old computers. My basement was filled four feet deep with computers before I moved back to PA and that was about 1000 square feet of computers (with narrow pathways every other row). Once word gets out that you're a collector somehow this stuff seems to find you.

FWIW, the biggest booty I came into was a school district that thought Pentium 133's were useless. I scored a whole tractor trailer load of PC's & Macs for the grand total of $60 ($10 for one table of stuff at auction, and then $50 which was the opening & only bid on a tractor trailer load).

(Jeff, I will get out to you to rescue that old sun, honest, but I keep forgetting to grab one of the Dell 1184's on the way out the door)

--

C. Magnus Hedemark
http://trilug.org/~chrish