Leonard Rosenthol on Sun, 29 Jun 2003 13:47:05 -0400

Re: [PLUG] OS 8.6 to 9 and X

At 09:25 AM 6/29/2003 -0400, Paul wrote:
My neighbor asked me about this. He has a Mac running 8.6.

What TYPE of Mac? Do you even know if it will run Mac OS X?? Many older ones will not...

In order to use classic mode, is version 9 necessary and does it come with OS X?

Yes, you need Mac OS 9.x for Classic. NO, Mac OS 9 does NOT come with the Mac OS X CD - at least not the same CD. Also, some versions of Mac OS X, when purchased from Apple, did include a separate Mac OS 9 CD, and some did not.

Could the upgrade to version 9 and OS X be done without changing existing partitions and blowing away data?

Sure, you would first update to 9, and then to Mac OS X and things should be fine PROVIDED that you are using an HFS+ partition already with 8.6.

Is the person also planning on getting updates to his/her applications, so that they will be Mac OS X native - or sticking with Classic? If the latter, why bother with Mac OS X?!/!?

Leonard