Barry Roomberg on Sat, 19 Jul 2003 21:59:05 -0400

Re: [work] Re: [PLUG] Which license?

On Saturday 19 July 2003 09:40 pm, William H. Magill wrote:

> My understanding of the GPL is that the author GIVES UP "control" of
> the code when they put it under that license -- that is to say, the
> author 1) can no longer derive any "private" use of the code (i.e.
> extractions/derivations/modifications etc. of that code are also
> GPL'd), and 2) has no ability to say who can and who cannot use (or
> modify) the code for whatever reason.

The original author can have multiple licenses for the same code.
The license goes with the copy, not the original.  So the author can
then do private stuff with the original as much as they want.

This is how the dual packages such as Perl or MySQL work.