Paul on Thu, 7 Aug 2003 13:26:05 -0400

Re: [PLUG] Re: FW: BIND troubleshooting / help

kaze wrote:

Yes, I did have iptables on and locked down too tight, among other
configuration errors. When I did these installs during the Red Hat setup on
the firewall configuration screens I choose the high security level, and
opened ports for ssh and in the other ports field put in some entries for
DNS. At the time I found how to do the syntax for opening tcp 53 _and_ udp
53 - but I just searched for 15 min and can't find it again, I vaguely
remember something like "tcp:53 udp:53"

Oh, yeah. A mysterious Samba problem was traced to the same cause. But, it's good to know that the firewall does its job! ;-)