Paul on Mon, 11 Aug 2003 19:03:05 -0400

Re: [PLUG] What is /proc/kcore

Sijian Zhou wrote:

I find I have a 200M+ /proc/kcore file in my RedHat
7.3. What is it? It is read-only and I can't change
it's mod and delete it. How to reduce it's size?

Here's a quote from http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/linux/RHL-7.2-Manual/ref-guide/s1-proc-topfiles.html

/proc/kcore

This file represents the physical memory of the system and is stored in the core file format. Unlike most /proc files, kcore does display a size. This value is given in bytes and is equal to the size of physical memory (RAM) used plus 4KB.

Do not try to cat or otherwise attempt to view this file. Its contents are designed to be examined by a debugger, such as gdb, the GNU Debugger.

Only the root user has the rights to view this file.