William H. Magill on Thu, 14 Aug 2003 17:16:14 -0400

Re: [PLUG] LINUX Administrator opportunities

On Wednesday, August 13, 2003, at 04:14 PM, Boyd A Kelly wrote:
I have several LINUX Administrators opportunities, both full-time and contract, through out the Philadelphia, Wilmington, and Princeton areas.  If you are interested in hearing more, please contact me via email or phone.

An experienced, enterprise-level, Unix Senior Systems Administrator living
in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, I am currently looking for a position in
Enterprise Computing support and development.

As my resume indicates I have over 20 years experience supporting
networking and computing in enterprise computing operations.

In recent years I was primarily supporting the Tru64 Unix systems which ran
the network and provided an amalgam of central services from electronic
mail to SNMP monitors. Other versions of Unix, Mac OS X and the IBM
Mainframe also played a part in the environment.

Part of the team which implemented PennNet beginning back in about 1975, I
have been involved in all aspects of TCP/IP networking as it evolved from
the ARPAnet to the Internet and Internet II of today. In the early days,
our small team supported the entire campus. As time progressed, that 10
person team expanded into a 200 person department supplemented with "Local
Support Providers" in every department of the University.

Since its release I have been working extensively with Mac OS X Client and
Server. I have been beta testing Mac OS X Server with Apple since its first
availability.

I would like to discuss with you my experience and qualifications and the
contributions I could make to your organization.

I can be reached at home 215-386-5167 or via email:
magill@mcgillsociety.org

Sincerely

William H. Magill ----------------------------

William Magill
4428 Chestnut Street * Philadelphia, PA, 19104-2914 * 215/386-5167
magill@mcgillsociety.org
------------------------------------------------------------------------ ------

                                   PROFILE

Senior Systems Administrator with over 20 years of experience in enterprise
computing operations. Excellent organizational, analytical, and communication
abilities coupled with extensive knowledge of the field. Highlights of
expertise include:

Vendor Relations
Represented employer long-range, strategic planning as well as short-term,
tactical needs and issues to software and hardware vendors through various
forums, including vendor non-disclosure presentations and focus groups, and
trade association advocacy groups.

Strategic Planning and Systems Architecture
Defined, analyzed, designed, applied technology and architecting of systems to
support organizational objectives, including physical infrastructure,
facilities, computing and networking resources and staffing.

Operations and System Administration
Skilled in computing operations: System Administrator for Tru64 Unix, and Mac
OS X Client and Server, also knowledgeable in Linux, Solaris, AIX, VMS all in
a secure C2 type environment.

Networking
TCP/IP networking, hardware/software infrastructure; Fibre based storage area
networking.

                              PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE

ISC Networking and Telecommunications - 1973-2002
University of Pennsylvania Philadelphia, PA
Industry leading provider of Internet services

A $4.5 billion academic and research organization that is the largest private
employer in the city of Philadelphia (and second largest private employer in
the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania) with 25,000 employees and 20,000 students.

Information Systems and Computing (ISC) Networking and Telecommunications
Senior System Administrator (1996-2002)
Manager, Network Technical Services (1990-1996)
Manager, Network Operations Planning (1988-1990)

Responsible to manage and troubleshoot hardware and operating systems
configurations that supported PennNet (an industry leading provider of
Internet services representing a 109+ mile, single and multi-mode fibre optic
based, TCP/IP communications network connecting 140+ University buildings
utilizing networking technologies including Ethernet, 802.11 and FDDI) and ISC
services accessed by over 45,000 end users (faculty, staff and students);
supervise and train junior system administrators; analyze and resolve complex
problems with server and storage area network hardware, applications and
software integration. Provided second level support for complex service
offerings on PennNet. Pioneered several technologies including:

* Created and implemented the platform and environment for Libertynet, a
community website
* Implemented the University's original campus web server overnight in 1993
* Insourced and restored 24x7 operation to a cancer information website
* Implemented a Storage Area Network utilizing Compaq StorageWorks Data
Replication Manager (DRM) technology in a heterogeneous Unix environment
to provide robust, disaster tolerant data storage in support of a 24x7
computer network environment.
* Beta test Mac OS X Server software for Apple in the campus environment.

Operations Manager - Moore School Computing Facility (MSCF) (1976-1988)
Chief Operator (1973-1976)
Systems supported during the period included: RCA Spectra 70 series, Univac
90/70, Univac 1100, Digital VAX 750/850/8600, Thinking Machine, Lisp Machines,
Harris HCX-9, HP systems, ATT 3B2, Integraph, SGI, Sun 4/90.

                                 EDUCATION

Drexel University, Philadelphia, PA Commerce and Engineering
Vendor and trade association seminars and courses

PROFESSIONAL AFFILIATIONS
ACM
USENIX
SAGE
Compaq Tru64 Unix Enterprise Customer Council
StorageWorks Enterprise Customer Council
Encompass (formerly DECUS)
Encompass: Tru64 Unix TAG (Technical Advisory Group), co-char 1998-2002
Encompass: DelVal LUG (Local Users Group), co-chair 1998-

                              COMMUNITY SERVICE

U of P Federal Credit Union, President  (1978-2002)
Board Member, Spruce Hill Community Organization
Judge of Elections, Philadelphia County Board of Elections

                               PRESENTATIONS

Conference Presentations - DECUS, Encompass, AUUA

                              MILITARY HISTORY

SP 5 USAR; honorably discharged

T.T.F.N. William H. Magill # Beige G3 - Rev A motherboard - 768 Meg # Flat-panel iMac (2.1) 800MHz - Super Drive - 768 Meg # PWS433a [Alpha 21164 Rev 7.2 (EV56)- 64 Meg]- Tru64 5.1a magill@mcgillsociety.org magill@acm.org magill@mac.com