Ruse, Kevin KPSI on Fri, 15 Aug 2003 16:00:44 -0400

RE: [PLUG] Load Average

The load average is based of the number of processes sitting in the run
queue. The run queue just contains processes that need to hop on the cpu to
get something done as opposed to the wait queue which contains processes
waiting for I/O.

The load average is a rather subjective number. A load of 0 or 1 on a single
cpu computer means the cpu is meeting its current processing requirements.
Numbers continually higher that 1 means the cpu is not meeting the current
processing needs.

I generally just use it as a quick check when a machine is reported to be
running "slow". Also i find it a rather poor benchmark on multiprocessor
machines. Just use it as a rough mark on how busy the machine is.

Kevin Ruse
Kvaerner Philadelphia Shipyard