Jeffrey J. Nonken on Wed, 20 Aug 2003 16:51:08 -0400

Re: [PLUG] This Box Rocks, but on XP?

On Mon, 18 Aug 2003 19:37:59 -0400, Rich 'Forge' Mingin wrote:
>I have the Logitech wireless mouse+keyboard package. I'm not real
>fond
>of the mouse (it's optical, and none of my flat surfaces seem to be
>really optical-friendly), but the RF keyboard easily crosses my

So use a mouse pad. You generally want to use a mouse pad for a ball mouse anyway, in my experience they don't work well on your average desktop surface. I've got optical mice all over the house and use ordinary mouse pads for 'em.

Then what's the use? Well, I don't have to clean them. Cleaning becomes problematical after a while anyway, especially when you're gaming. (I found myself cleaning my ball mouse at least once/day at work, and I only played during lunch.) And I get very good precision and repeatability with the optical mice.

For a while I was throwing cheap ball mice at my (learning-disabled) daughter's games computer, because she had a habit of destroying them quickly. No way I wanted to put an expensive optical mouse there! Then one day I woke up to the fact that was the mechanics that were being broken, not the least because when the ball would stop tracking, she'd slam the mouse down on the table. Two years ago I put an optical Logitech on that computer, and I haven't had to replace it yet.

I love optical mice.