Kevin Brosius on Fri, 22 Aug 2003 07:17:52 -0400

Re: [PLUG] DSL has arrived!

Doug Crompton wrote:

> Well I don't really think my "war" with Verizon had anything to do with
> it. I think they are just on a DSL rollout. After all it has been a year
> and a half since I started that.
>
> Does anyone have any experience with Cavalier? www.cavtel.com They seem to
> have great residential phone packages. $24 for unlimited local calling,
> loads of features and 5 cents/min LD. Verizon does not offer unbundled LD
> with local unlimited. Their package includes unlimited LD at $50.
>
> They also have the lowest DSL pricing, $25/month. This would not be static
> IP I am sure but I wonder if they have a similarly low price business DSL
> plan.
>
> I was thinking about switching to Cavalier for my voice phone service.
>
> It would be nice to dump Verizon all together!
>
> Doug

I work with someone using Cavalier with the RADSL package and they are
happy with it.  They even offer static IP, either as the default or a
no-cost option (1 address) which is kind of nice.

Couple things to keep in mind... It's RADSL, not base ADSL, which seems
to be a special shared bandwidth (up vs. down transfer) product, with a
base rate of 768k or thereabouts.

Second, Cavalier needs to have hardware in the local office to support
it.  Same is true of Covad and Verizon (The only other providers I've
seen widely used in the local PA area.)  What I'm trying to say is, that
for you to have the option of using all three (Verizon, Speakeasy/Covad,
or Cavalier) they will each have to have installed equipment local to
you.  I doubt you'll find they all do, unless all of them have put in
equipment since your search last year.

http://broadbandreports.com (dslreports.com) has local search options,
plus can show you how many local people have reported sucessful installs
at your CO (and what providers they used.)  I recommend them.

--
Kevin Brosius