Paul on Wed, 27 Aug 2003 16:04:20 -0400

Re: [PLUG] finding the IP

Jeff Abrahamson wrote:

All of these things assume that the ip you see is what the rest of the
world sees. My ip as I write this is 192.168.0.6. You will see the
address of my gateway, puddle.purple.com = 216.158.45.183.

I believe the only reliable way to know your ip from the outside,
barring knowledge of the network between you and there, is to check
from the outside. Thus the httpd solutions.

I made an attempt to use SNMP to grab the IP from my wireless router. No success. Bouncing the IP off a Web server works pretty well. The drawback is that it sends e-mail every time because it doesn't know if the IP has changed or not.