Bill Jonas on Fri, 29 Aug 2003 22:15:19 -0400

Re: [PLUG] Wireless on Debian

On Fri, Aug 29, 2003 at 09:18:06PM -0400, Robert J. Squire Jr. wrote:
> This time I've got something more technical.
> I've got a NetGear MA401 pcmcia wireless card in my laptop and my
> inability to get it working under linux is the only thing that prevents
> my deleting my winXP partition.

I set up a Linksys WPC11 (v3) in Debian a few weeks back.  It uses those
modules you mentioned, so you might give this a try.

I used the instructions located at
<http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/showthread.php?s=&threadid=38579>;
that suggested you should add the file
<http://ozlabs.org/people/dgibson/dldwd/testing/hermes.conf> to
/etc/pcmcia/.  (I notice that this file mentions a similar model number
to the one you have... here's hoping.)  Then reference this file to
/etc/pcmcia/config; I forget the exact syntax (I'm not near my laptop at
the moment), but it's fairly obvious from either the man page or other
bits of that file how to do it.

After I did that and restarted pcmcia-cs, I inserted my card, got two
high beeps, and was then on the net.

Let me know if this works or not.

"It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your front door.  You step
into the Road,  and if you don't keep your feet,  there  is  no knowing
where you might be swept off to."  --  Bilbo Baggins