Kevin Brosius on Mon, 1 Sep 2003 10:59:10 -0400

Re: [PLUG] Wireless on Debian

Robert J. Squire Jr. wrote:
> Even though the pcmcia system seems to notice the card, it considers in
> "unsupported" and the kernel modules are not loaded automatically by the
> pcmcia system. If I modprobe the orinoco_cs module orinoco and hermes
> come along for the ride:
>
> crookshanks:/home/rjsquire# lsmod
> Module Size Used by Not tainted
> orinoco_cs 4360 0 (unused)
> orinoco 31232 0 [orinoco_cs]
> hermes 5216 0 [orinoco_cs orinoco]
> ide-cs 3328 1
> ntfs 48992 0 (unused)
> parport_pc 13892 1 (autoclean)
> lp 6464 0 (autoclean)
> parport 24576 1 (autoclean) [parport_pc lp]

Here's the critical part... After you do this, does anything show up
with a cat /proc/net/wireless?  Bad:
Inter-| sta-|   Quality        |   Discarded packets               |
Missed | WE
 face | tus | link level noise |  nwid  crypt   frag  retry   misc |
beacon | 16

Good:
Inter-| sta-|   Quality        |   Discarded packets               |
Missed
 face | tus | link level noise |  nwid  crypt   frag  retry   misc |
beacon
 wlan0: 0000   92.  216.  157.       0      0      0      0
0        0

Actually, your /etc/log/messages, should show something for the
orinico_cs load also, either a wlan0 device (or something) or no
device.  If the driver finds a network card it recognizes, and binds to
it, you'll get some device (not normally an eth0 device, though, for a
wireless card.)

See anything in /proc/net/wireless or the log?

--
Kevin