Michael F. Robbins on Mon, 22 Sep 2003 23:39:52 -0400

[Date Prev] [Date Next] [Thread Prev] [Thread Next] [Date Index] [Thread Index]

Re: [PLUG] Where to buy hobbyist electronics parts? [OT]

On Mon, 2003-09-22 at 22:45, kaze wrote:
> Any suggestions on where to shop (on-line) for the pots, enclosure, zener
> diodes?

My favorite places are:

All Electronics.  Lots of surplus, nice online & printed catalog.  This
is exactly the kind of place you need for a project like this.  If
you're not willing to pay much extra, shipping is slow, as they're in

Mouser Electronics.  Great if you know *exactly* what you need.  They
provide great service.  Located in TX.

I've been trying to find local places, but have been unsuccessful thus

> Any EE types able to tell me if I need zeners to keep the flow one way, if
> that's even the right component name, and what size to get for audio use?

I am not an EE -- actually, I'm still in high school -- but I don't
think that zener diodes are what you're looking for.  The signals you're
dealing with wouldn't be enough to force the zener into reverse
breakdown (which would null the audio anyway), and in forward bias, it's
just like a normal diode.  Probably, an input series capacitor would do,
but you might also want to consider an op-amp based solution.  Good

Michael F. Robbins

Philadelphia Linux Users Group        --       http://www.phillylinux.org
Announcements - http://lists.netisland.net/mailman/listinfo/plug-announce
General Discussion  --   http://lists.netisland.net/mailman/listinfo/plug