Paul on 7 Oct 2003 17:36:02 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Linux vs. Windows Viruses

I think a public project should be started to encourage the (attempted) creation of viruses for GNU/Linux. I would expect the response to be increased activity at anti-virus companies and more security-conscious programming. I do get an uneasy feeling knowing that my Linux computers do not have virus scanners. Just as remote security scans test firewalls, it would be nice to be able to truely test Linux's anti-virus capabilities. Even though I've run into dozens of Window$ viruses, I take comfort in knowing that anti-virus utilities for Window$ are effective. (I actual have a blast detecting and cleaning virus infections.)

Jon Nelson wrote:

A very good article on viruses and why they propigate on Windows and never
would on Linux.

http://www.securityfocus.com/columnists/188

Jon