Alex Birch on 7 Oct 2003 18:25:02 -0000

Re: [PLUG] scientific programming job possibility

Jeff,

> The key technical qualifications are C++ and perl and a very good
> knowledge of mathematics. It's all on linux, but there's very little
> system programming involved. You should be comfortable working with
> high dimensional spaces. (The code finds clusters in 7000 or so
> dimensional spaces.) You'll get to learn some neat math.

I am a math minor and I've created a cluster that has been mentioned in
Science. My majors were Chemistry and Computer Science. (Undergrad
research with theoretical chemistry)

> Knowledge of parallel or cluster programming would be a nice plus.

I've written programs with MPI and actually made a 63 CPU linux cluster.

I tutored C++ for the Computer Science department at USU. Even though I
know perl, I prefer using C++ and python. That is what I used at Lawrence
Berkeley National Labs.

Please feel free to ask any questions.

Alex