Kevin Brosius on 16 Oct 2003 19:28:02 -0400

Re: [PLUG] X server bpp 8

gr wrote:
> > Maybe i should be going down with the color depth instead of up?
>
> Definitely not. rdesktop is talking aobut it's bit depth, not your X
> servers, and the xdpyinfo output established that you're in 16 bit
> mode already.

If rdesktop is talking about it's depth as a client to the local
xserver, then that's most likely the wrong advice.

If rdesktop defaults to needing depth 8 for it's client window, then
running your local XFree86 at depth 8 will make it work.  (Ought to make
it work...)  There are only one or two drivers in XFree86 that support
different depth clients on the same screen.  And you have to
specifically enable them to do it.

Course, rdesktop is rather broken if that is the case.  I'd expect it to
support an option to change output depth, or to auto probe that from the
local server.  Of course, it may be just exporting the depth of the
screen on the Windows side.  If so, you might have to match the two
ends.  That would be ugly...

--
Kevin